Written by Ashkan Sobhe, CEO and Founder of ITC — Digital Marketing Agency. Ashkan Sobhe is speaking on the AWM SoCal digital media panel at Digital Hollywood on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2015. Join us for this informative conversation with leading industry experts. For more information and for tickets, visit www.DigitalHollywood.com.
You’ve been in this business a long time. Long enough to see companies making the same mistakes over and over. Whether it’s a restricting marketing budget or a lack of vision, businesses suffer when their marketing is not handled properly. Check out this list of the seven most common mistakes companies make — and make sure your business isn’t falling into any of these traps!
7. “We don’t have any marketing budget!” It’s the age-old saying: you’ve got to spend money to make money. Businesses claim to have no room in the budget for marketing, and then they are surprised when they lose revenue. Marketing is all about getting your product or service in front of your consumers. When your business is starting to decline, your marketing budget should be the last thing to go.
6. “We’re based in California, and we hired someone in Ohio to do our social media.” Remember: your marketing team is going to speak on your behalf to the whole world. They should understand every aspect of your business, your culture, and your demographic. This kind of in-depth knowledge is much more difficult to gain via long-distance. Make sure you meet with your marketing team face-to-face and communicate with them on a regular basis.
5. “We hired a web guy to do all of our marketing.” Digital marketing is made up of four main categories: social media, technical (web development/SEO), graphic design, and copy. Each of these areas requires a high level of experience and expertise to truly make your business stand out from the crowd. If you find a single person who can design professional and creative graphics, code like a pro, get you on the first page of Google’s search results, run an expert social campaign, and write engaging copy—let me know. I’ll hire this mythical creature on the spot.
4. “We tried marketing but it didn’t work.” What would happen if after one bad date you decided to stop dating? You’d never find true love! If you’ve had a bad marketing relationship in the past, it’s easy to get burned, but the important thing is to learn from those mistakes. When a new client tells us exactly what went wrong with their last marketing efforts, we can anticipate and overcome those challenges.
3. “We don’t know what we need!” A true leader knows where she is going and what she needs to do to get there. You might not know how to amp up your SEO, but you should know that this is an important step to getting your business noticed. Read as much as you can—about marketing, creativity, business, and your industry. Talk to others in your profession and learn from their wisdom. If you’re not already doing so, it’s time to step up and take charge of the direction of your business.
2. “Our business is different. We don’t need marketing.” This has been the hardest one to comprehend. If you have a business, people need to know about it. After all, that’s how you make money! If a business is saying they don’t need marketing because they’ve got all the business they can handle, then the question is really a growth and scalability issue. Every business needs marketing, including yours.
1 . I am leaving the final deadly marketing sin up to you. What marketing mistakes have you seen over the years? Email me at email@example.com or call 310.927.2588 if you think of a good one! Let’s chat about it.
Ashkan Sobhe is an entrepreneur with a deep passion for technology. As the Founder and CEO of ITC, the award-winning creative digital marketing firm in Los Angeles, Sobhe has taken his expertise and ingenuity to resounding new heights.